Deepening your mindfulness skills
Has mindfulness transformed your life in a positive way and are you looking for ways to deepen your practice or pass it on to others?
Mindfulness training programmes have attained solid ground in many areas of life: personal development, work, health, education, leadership, parenting, childbirth and others.
As mindfulness is becoming more mainstream, there is a growing need for professionalism. While more people are starting to share mindfulness, there is an increasing need for teachers with a solid background and certified training skills.
Brussels Mindfulness offers a 1,5-year in person Mindfulness Teacher Training programme according to international certification standards. Our new cohort starts in October 2023. Completion of all parts of the programme leads to a Certificate of Competency in Teaching Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Programme (MBSR).
Update : We have currently 3 more spots available). new registration deadline: 31 September
Enjoy getting away on long weekends in a beautiful retreat location and learn about mindfulness with like minded others, supported by a team of international teachers.
Why become a mindfulness teacher?
Here are some reasons why this teacher training can be something for you. You may want to:
- Deepen your practice and understanding of Mindfulness
- Invest in your wellbeing
- Boost your personal growth
- Make new friends with an interest in meditation
- Prepare a career) change in your life
- Share mindfulness in a skilful way with others
- Figure out what it is that you have to offer the world
- Make an investment in your personal future
- Be kinder to and take better care of yourself
- Look for new ways to earn additional income
- Increase your self awareness and decrease reactivity
- Improve your concentration and focus
Don't wait too long to secure your spot. Registration ends on 31 August 2023.
Watch our video on the next teacher training
What does the training look like?
This training is organised in a 15-month programme comprising residential weekend modules of 21 days in total, and a 1-day retreat.
This course offers you the unique opportunity to deepen your journey into mindfulness together with a group of like-minded people and guided by excellent international teachers. Throughout the programme, you will be practising in small groups and be encouraged to follow your progress by journaling.
The Brussels Mindfulness Teacher Training has been developed in line with the UK Mindfulness-Based Teacher Training Organisation’s Good Practice Guidance for teachers and the international Mindfulness-Based Interventions-Teacher Assessment Criteria (MBI-TAC). Completion of all parts leads to the award of a Certificate of Competency in Teaching Mindfulness-Based Approaches.
This programme is an opportunity to understand and embody all the elements of the mindfulness based stress reduction (MBSR) course and develop the skills, attitudes and knowledge required to deliver elements of a mindfulness training, guide basic meditations or teach an 8-week mindfulness course with supervision. We will be focussing on the mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) programme, developed by Jon Kabat Zinn, as a core programme so that at the end of our time together you are familiar with all of its elements and practices.
The training experiences are designed to help you develop your personal mindfulness practice, to become familiar with teaching the curriculum and acquire teaching skills. It is a journey from mindfulness practitioner to becoming a teacher of mindfulness-based courses.
During the course of the programme, we will be focusing on the following elements:
- Deepening your personal mindfulness practice and experientially exploring mindfulness as an embodied practice.
- Understanding the background, theory, and structure of mindfulness-based approaches, concentrating mainly on the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Programme.
- Understanding the underpinning rationales/intentions, background, theory, cognitive science, evidence base, ethical framework, structure and sequence of the MBSR curriculum.
- Learn how to guide meditations and yoga in MBSR.
- Practice how to give feedback in a safe and supportive way.
- Learn how to guide inquiry (debriefing on the meditation practices)
- Understanding and managing group dynamics and responding wisely to difficult behaviour
- Educational themes of the training; their rationale and how to present them
- Developing competency in taking care of the group (while taking care of yourself)
- The Buddhist roots of mindfulness
- Counter-indications, secondary effects, dealing with difficulties, clinical applications and non-clinical applications of mindfulness
- Developing sensitivity towards meditation-related challenges and the impact of trauma on mindfulness practice
- Practical organisation of a mindfulness course (syllabus document, organisation, intake, marketing etc.)
All overnight in-person modules take place in a beautiful location, la Maison du Chemin des Roches in Dongelberg, Wallonia, some 50 min from Brussels.
The one-day modules take place in our location in Brussels, MM81 at Ave. de Tervueren 81.
Features of our programme
- international programme in English
- small group to deepen the experience and direct exchange with the trainers
- international team of senior trainers
- possibility to exchange and work in small peer groups during the duration of the programme
- 7 weekend modules over the course of 15 months in a retreat-like structure and one 5-day retreat
- inperson course in a beautiful location with delicious organic food and exclusive use of the location
- an online platform with all material in one spot (handbook, meditations, planning etx)
- personal tutorial with one of the trainers
Supervised pilot course
To obtain the certificate of mindfulness teacher, it is required to attend at least 90% of the programme to pass the assessment. This will enable you to teach the 8-week curriculum to open groups and companies, as well as apply for membership at a professional mindfulness association. Towards the end of this programme, you will be expected to organise a pilot course and work with a supervisor to reflect on your readiness for teaching and on your unfolding skills and experience.
Our next full teacher training cycle starts in October 2023. Find all the details here.
Who can participate?
The mindfulness teacher training is open to anyone who wants to be a mindfulness teacher or engage in a deep and life-transforming journey with like-minded people. You should meet the following requirements:
- You have followed an 8-week mindfulness training as a participant
- You would like to combine your passion for mindfulness with professional trainer skills and attitudes
- You have completed some form of higher education (at least a Bachelor’s degree)
- You have a daily meditation practice since a few months
- You have attended one silent retreat of at least 2 nights (this can still be followed during the training)
We believe that mindfulness skills can make this world a better place, not only because it helps to improve individual wellbeing, but also because it leads to wiser choices and more kindness in this world. Our team of international certified mindfulness and yoga teachers has extensive experience at the work place and can train in English, Dutch, German and French.