From fire-extinguishing to leading from inspiration
We offer courses or workshops on mindful leadership
A mindful leader is a leader who is truly present. This leadership presence is a tangible quality. Those around a mindful leader see, feel and are inspired by this presence and it creates a ripple effect deep into the organisation.
Being a leader has never been easy but today leaders are facing unprecedented complexity and ambiguity.
When we consider the challenges leaders face today, it’s easy to see the need for cultivating mindful leadership:
- Increasing complexity and ambiguity. The environment we live and work in is becoming ever more complex and ambiguous. There are numerous new and difficult challenges and many organisations face considerable resource restraints.
- A state of “continuous partial attention”. We are attached 24/7 to an array of technological devices that produce information overload that generates anxiety and a sense of disconnection. The volume of information at our disposal is, in fact, leading to less rather than more certainty. We can argue that we live in a state of “continuous partial attention”.
- Lack of mental space. The most frequent complaint heard by leaders is the lack of mental space they experience. We often simply do not have the space and the breathing room necessary to be clear and focused, and to listen deeply to ourselves and to others in order to take adequately informed and wise decisions.
- The world needs leaders with a clear and open mind and heart. If we are to successfully resolve the greater challenges we face - not only within our organisations, but in our society and planet as a whole - we need more leaders with an open awareness, focused and creative, with a clear sense of purpose and compassion for the greater whole.
Leading from awareness
At the heart of the most influential contemporary leadership models is the necessity for leaders to reflect and renew themselves. Yet how is this possible in today’s high-speed and complex environment?
Practicing mindfulness is a scientifically proven way of leading with awareness, by enabling you to create more mental space – in the midst of the constant busyness and challenging environments. You learn to become aware of your own mental patterns and habits and you develop tools to change unhelpful habits.
This has some important benefits: A mindful leader is able to:
- connect – to others, to the larger community as well as to her or his personal values and ethics;
- skilfully initiate and guide change, by listening and collaborating with open curiosity and by showing a willingness, if necessary, to live with ambiguity until a decision becomes clear;
- motivate others to flourish in their work and to find their own meaning in work and life;
- stimulate innovation by accepting failures as experiments from which to learn and inspires her or his people to do the same;
- have a clear sense of purpose and direction and is willing to stand up for what matters despite resistance, scepticism or his or her own fears.
These benefits do not only apply to the individual leader and his or her team, but to the organisation as a whole. Higher engagement levels and levels of trust in leadership are an important result – as well as more successful change.
Mindful Leadership does not necessarily replace other leadership or management approaches, such as lean management or others. It serves as an enabler for those approaches, by giving leaders the mental calm and clarity to apply them.
How do you learn mindful leadership?
We spend most of our time in the often frantic “doing/thinking/problem-solving” mode in which stress builds up and clouds our vision.
By learning to switch between the “doing” mode and a more contemplative “being” mode, you learn to find more mental space and develop more awareness that enables you to connect more deeply with others and with their personal purpose.
A mindful leader embodies leadership presence by training and cultivating focus, clarity, creativity and compassion in the service of others.
These capabilities are developed by:
- learning a set of contemplative practices, such as mindfulness meditation, to deepen (self-)awareness.
- reflecting on personal leadership values to develop a clearer sense of purpose.
- learning to pause in the midst of the franticness of our hectic life.
- sharing ideas and experiences with our participants of the programme.
- reflecting on challenging situations and how to stay balanced and find the right response according to your values.
We offer leadership programmes ranging from 1 day-workshops to 3 months-programmes.
Would you like to set up a programme on mindful leadership in your organisation?
In our Mindful Leadership programme you learn how to:
- recognise stress-inducing patterns and learn to respond more appropriately.
- cultivate focus as well as the ability to tolerate ambiguity.
- bring mindfulness and compassion into communication and the feedback you give and receive as a leader.
- respond wisely to challenging situations.
- lead by inspiration, based on your personal leadership principles.
The content and set-up of this programme is specifically designed to help you integrate the mindful leadership practices into your daily life and work.
In this course, we work both on personal stress-management as on interpersonal applications for mindfulness, helping you to find more balance for yourself and inspire others to do so as well.
No prior knowledge or experience with mindfulness is required.
Contact us for a tailor-made programme for your organisation:
Please contact Beate Trück at firstname.lastname@example.org.