Has mindfulness transformed your life in a positive way and are you looking for ways to deepen the practice and pass it on to others?
Do you identify with one of the following?
- You would like to give mindfulness training to individuals and/or companies.
- You are a coach/therapist and would like to bring mindfulness into your work with clients.
- You would like to bring mindfulness into the organisation where you work, and do so in a professional way.
- You would like to deepen your practice and understanding of mindfulness in a group of like-minded people.
As mindfulness is becoming more mainstream, there is a growing need for professionalism. While more people are starting to teach mindfulness, there is increasingly a need for teachers with a solid background and certified training skills and a sound ethical frame.
Brussels Mindfulness offers a Mindfulness Teacher Training programme over 1,5 years, which has started in January 2020. It is based on international certification standards and led by internationally recognised and experienced teachers Jake Dartington, Claude Maskens, Steve Savels, Sandrine Rauters and Beate Trück.
Skilful completion of all parts of the programme leads to the award of a Certificate of Competency in Teaching Mindfulness-Based Approaches, providing you with a solid basis and readiness to teach and run your own mindfulness 8-week courses or work with other mindfulness-based approaches.
The Mindfulness Teacher Training has been developed in line with the UK Mindfulness-Based Teacher Training Organisation’s Good Practice Guidance for teachers, and the Mindfulness-Based Interventions-Teacher Assessment Criteria (MBI-TAC).
Conditions for admission
- You have followed the foundational training (year 1) with Brussels Mindfulness, or you have followed a foundational one-year training at another organisation (please provide a proof with information about duration and content).
- You have followed a 4-night silent retreat.
- You have a regular and steady meditation practice of at least two years.
Meet the teachers
Lead teacher – Jake Dartington
Guest teacher - Claude Maskens
Teacher - Steve Savels
Teacher - Beate Trück
Mindfulness Teacher Training - Outline of Level 2: Advanced Programme
Deepening and developing competencies in offering mindfulness-based courses. The programme entails the following:
- 5-day silent retreat - price: € 695 (early bird price, including VAT).
- Teacher Training level 2: 3 modules of 10 training days in 2020-21
Price: € 2.399 (including VAT), early bird fee, as of 30 July full price: € 2499 (VAT incl)
Objective: to assess competence in teaching mindfulness-based courses.
- Participation to at least 90% of the training programme.
- Teach a minimum of 1 supervised mindfulness-based 8-week course.
- Submission of audio recordings of at least one session of the mindfulness course for which you have had primary teaching responsibility.
- Submission of your course material (syllabus document and at least 4 recorded guided meditations).
- Completion of reflective writing (> 3000 words).
- Having taken a minimum of 4 supervision sessions.
Price: € 599 (including VAT; excluding supervision)
Please note that the criteria may be subject to slight changes according to the development of international assessment criteria for mindfulness teachers.
Dates and locations
module 1: 3-4 October 2020 (residential - Maison du Chemin des Roche, Dongelberg),
module 2: 14-17 January 2021 (residential - Maison du Chemin des Roche, Dongelberg)
module 3: 11-14 June 2021 (residential - Maison du Chemin des Roche, Dongelberg)
Teachers: Jake Dartington, Claude Maskens, Beate Trück and Steve Savels
Location for the residential module: Maison du Chemin des Roches, Dongelberg (approx. 30 minutes from Brussels).
This part of the complete teacher training cycle is an opportunity to develop experience and confidence in teaching mindfulness-based approaches through further training, supervised teaching, attendance of retreats and continuing personal practice. During this programme, you will also be expected to work with a supervisor to reflect on your readiness for teaching and on your enfolding skills and experience.
The programme is in line with the Mindfulness-Based Interventions-Teacher Assessment Criteria (MBI-TAC).
- Demonstrate competence in teaching mindfulness-based courses which would constitute 'fitness to teach', within the students own professional context.
- Demonstrate awareness of professional and ethical issues, including use of supervision.
- Demonstrate relevant teaching skills by selecting, organising and evaluating teaching materials, to facilitate integration of theoretical and experiential learning.
- Demonstrate relevant qualities for teaching mindfulness-based approaches including embodiment of mindfulness and kindness.
- Demonstrate responsive and flexible pacing to cover an appropriate curriculum, as well as holding a group learning environment and managing challenges and difficulties.
- Demonstrate good relational skills throughout teaching.
Completion of the Mindfulness Teacher Training – Advanced Programme deepens, develops and assesses the skills, attitudes and competencies required to deliver a mindfulness-based course skilfully, carefully and consistently. The training modules develop your teaching competences and prepare you for the assessment of your teaching proficiency.
Content of the programme
- Develop competencies to teach the full curriculum of an 8-week-programme.
- Ongoing cycle of learning and feedback on teaching, directly observed by a supervisor.
- Deepening your mindfulness practice.
- Deepen your skills and understanding of mindfulness-based approaches, which includes keeping up to date with the current evidence-base.
Modules of the programme (non-exhaustive list):
- Deepening and reinforcing your inquiry skills (debriefing on the meditation practices).
- Refining guidance skills for guided meditations and practices.
- Learning to use mindfulness movement to enhance bodily awareness.
- Understanding and managing group dynamics and responding wisely to difficult behaviour.
- Educational themes of the training; their rationale and how to present them.
- Being aware of strengths and limitations in your own teaching.
- Developing further competency in taking care of the group (while taking care of yourself).
- The Buddhist roots of mindfulness.
- The cognitive psychology of contemporary mindfulness-based approaches.
- Update on research and similarities and differences of MBCT/MBSR and other mindfulness-based approaches.
- Counter-indications, secondary effects, dealing with difficulties, clinical applications and non-clinical applications of mindfulness.
- Developing sensitivity towards meditation-related challenges and the impact of trauma on mindfulness practice
- Practical organisation of a mindfulness course (syllabus document, organisation, intake, marketing etc.)
Giving your pilot training
At the end of the training, the participant is required to give a (pilot) training, which he/she organises him/herself and on which he/she also writes a reflection report. Supervision starts in conjunction with this training. During the year, instructions will be given on how to organise such training and on the requirements for the material which needs to be submitted.
Price for the Mindfulness Teacher Training - Advanced Programme
€ 1.983 excl. VAT (€ 2.399 incl. VAT, to be paid in up to 3 instalments), early bird fee until 30 July 2020.
Thereafter full price: € 2.499 incl. VAT
The price includes the following:
- Participation in the 3 training modules
- Structured review of your writing assignment and other tasks.
- All course materials.
- Residential formula for module 1 at the Maison du Chemin des Roches in Dongelberg, including:
- Accommodation in double or single room with shared bathroom,
- Breakfast, vegetarian lunch and dinner, tea breaks,
- Use of the beautiful garden in your free time
- Non-residential formula for module 2 and 3 comprising
- Vegetarian lunches
- Tea and coffee-breaks and snacks
- use of the garden in your free time
Not comprised in this fee:
- Summer Retreat 2020 (You have to register and pay for the retreat separately by following this link.)
- Supervision fees (between € 70 and € 80 per hour). You will receive a list of supervisors at the beginning of the programme.
- The costs of the assessment.
To ensure your comfort during this event, we take measures following the guidelines concerning health standards:
- Small groups to allow enough space between participants during all activities.
- Amenities to wash and disinfect your hands regularly.
- The location is cleaned and ventilated several times a day.
- Possibility for outdoor meditations whenever the weather allows it.
- We encourage you to use your mask and not to participate should you have symptoms.
If you have taken part in the foundational programme of Brussels Mindfulness, you will be informed about your admission end of June 2020 and there is no need for formal application. In this case, you only need to reconfirm by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) that you will be continuing. Also please don't forget to register for the Summer Retreat 2020, if you have not yet done so.
If you previously have taken part in another programme, please send us the following:
- Certificate of participation in a one-year foundational programme, including the details of the programme
- Certificate of a 2-night silent retreat and of a 5-day residential retreat (if you cannot follow our summer retreat)
- Motivation letter containing the following questions:
- Reflective writing on your experience of your development as a mindfulness practitioner and teacher (approx. 1000 words). You might want to consider questions such as:
- What draws me to mindfulness and mindfulness practice?
- What is particularly challenging in my mindfulness practice?
- What intrigues me and keeps me motivated?
- How has my practice developed over time?
- How does practice serve me in times of difficulty?
- What is my motivation and experience to teach?
- Contact details (including complete address).
Please submit this information to email@example.com. Please note that once the course is full (max. 20 participants), no further applications will be accepted.
Via this link you can download the full brochure of the whole programme.
After the confirmation by e-mail resp. the screening of your application, an invoice for the first instalment will be sent to you.