Has mindfulness transformed your life in a positive way and are you looking for ways to deepen the practice and pass it on to others?
Do you identify with one of the following?
- You would like to give mindfulness training to individuals and/or companies.
- You are a coach/therapist and would like to bring mindfulness into your work with clients.
- You would like to bring mindfulness into the organisation where you work, and do so in a professional way.
- You would like to deepen your practice and understanding of mindfulness.
Mindfulness training programmes have attained solid ground in many areas of life: personal development, work, health, education, leadership, parenting, childbirth etc.
As mindfulness is becoming more mainstream, there is a growing need for professionalism. While more people are starting to teach mindfulness, there is an increasing need for teachers with a solid background and certified training skills.
Brussels Mindfulness offers a Mindfulness Teacher Training programme in 2 years, starting in November 2018. With lead teacher Jake Dartington and Claude Maskens.
Completion of all parts of the programme leads to the award of a Certificate of Competency in Teaching Mindfulness-Based Approaches.
Mindfulness Teacher Training: a 2-year programme
The Mindfulness Teacher Training (MTT) by Brussels Mindfulness offers a 2-year teacher training programme according to international certification standards. It is organised in a two-year programme comprising four residential modules of 20 days in total, and one 5-day retreat.
The Mindfulness Teacher Training has been developed in line with the UK Mindfulness-Based Teacher Training Organisation’s Good Practice Guidance for teachers, and the Mindfulness-Based Interventions-Teacher Assessment Criteria (MBI-TAC).
Completion of all parts of the MTT leads to the award of a Certificate of Competency in Teaching Mindfulness-Based Approaches. The programme is based on the internationally valid Mindfulness-based Interventions Teaching assessment criteria (MBI-TAC).
The training is organised in two levels, followed by an assessment period, spread over two years:
- Level 1 – Mindfulness Teacher Training - Foundations Programme: 2 residential modules from 14-17 November 2018 and 6-10 April 2019 in Brussels
- Level 2: Mindfulness Teacher Training – Advanced Programme: 5-day Summer Retreat from 10-14 July 2019 + 2 residential modules from 30 October-3 November 2019 and 15-19 April 2020 in Brussels
- Assessment period with supervision and certification
After completion of year 1 you will be able to deliver short mindfulness interventions, start guiding meditations and teaching the 8-week programme in a supervised setting.
In order to obtain the certificate for mindfulness teacher it is required to attend the two years and go through the assessment procedure. This will enable you to teach the 8-week curriculum to open groups and companies as well as apply for membership at a professional mindfulness association.
Who can participate?
The Mindfulness Teacher Training is open to anyone who wants to be a mindfulness teacher and meets the following requirements:
- You have followed an 8-week mindfulness training as a participant.
- You would like to combine your passion for mindfulness with professional trainer skills and attitudes.
- You have completed some form of higher education (at least Bachelor’s degree).
- You have at least one year of daily meditation practice.
- You have attended one silent retreat of at least 2 nights (for information on our retreats see www.brusselsmindfulness.be/retreats)
Meet the lead teacher – Jake Dartington
Jake Dartington is a teacher of Insight Meditation and Mindfulness-based Approaches. He began his meditation practice in 1995 and has taught at Gaia House retreat centre since 2007, following a three-year teacher training with Christina Feldman. He has also taught retreats in Finland and Denmark and worked as a mentor on the mindfulness teacher training led by Jack Kornfield and Tara Brach.
In 2012, he began to teach eight-week mindfulness courses and has trained to deliver MBSR and MBCT with Bangor University (TTR 1 and 2). He is registered with the UK Network of Mindfulness-Based Teacher Training Organisations.
As well as running his own courses in Nottingham, Jake leads workshops with organisations including London Insight Meditation, Bodhi College and Nottinghamshire NHS Trust. He has a particular specialism in teaching the Buddhist foundations of mindfulness practice.
Before becoming a full-time mindfulness teacher, Jake spent thirteen years teaching Philosophy and Religious Studies at Bilborough College in Nottingham. He has a B.A in Social Sciences, a Post-Graduate Certificate in Education, Masters degrees in Philosophy and Buddhist Studies, and a Foundation Certificate in Psychotherapy and Counselling.
- Mindfulness teacher and Psychotherapist
- Translator of several books by Jon Kabat-Zinn and others in French
- Trainer at the ULB teacher training for MBSR (in French)
- Supervisor of CFM Center For Mindfulness and at the ULB
- Member of the scientifc comité of Certificate of Advanced Studies de Genève
- Co-founder of the Association pour le Développement de la Mindfulness, l’ADM and the Association Belge Francophone de Pleine Conscience-Mindfulness - ABFM
Jake and Claude will be supported by the Steve Savels and Beate Trück, teachers of Brussels Mindfulness.
Saturday 22 September 2018, 14.00-17.00, MM81 Training Centre, Brussels
In this session we will explain:
- The process of the teacher training.
- The content of the two-year programme.
- The requirements for application.
- The assessment criteria.
- The skills of the teachers and supervisors.
We will answer all questions you might have. There will be the opportunity to meet the other participants of the class, and we will also be meditating together.
While it is not obligatory to participate in this session, we strongly advise you to join, whether you have already registered or are still doubting if this is the right training for you.
Register here for free for the information session on 22 September 2018.
If the maximum number of registrations will be reached before 22 September, we will cancel this information session.
Level 1: Mindfulness Teacher Training - Foundations Programme
Dates: 14-17 November 2018 & 6-10 April 2019, plus one mindfulness day (date of your choice)
Location: Convent and Training Centre Chant d’Oiseau, Brussels,
Teachers: Jake Dartington, supported by the teachers of Brussels Mindfulness
The Mindfulness Teacher Training - Foundations Programme is an opportunity to understand and embody all the elements of a mindfulness course and develop the skills, attitudes and knowledge required to begin to deliver elements of a mindfulness training, guide basic meditations or teach an 8-week mindfulness course with supervision. We will be focussing on the two main programmes mindfulness based stress reduction (MBSR) and mindfulness based cognitive therapy (MBCTà).
The training experiences are designed to help you develop your personal mindfulness practice; to begin to become familiar with teaching the curriculum and acquire first teaching skills. It is a beginning of the journey from practitioner of mindfulness to becoming a practicing teacher of mindfulness-based courses. For people wanting to integrate mindfulness at their workplace in the form of silent pauses with guided meditations, short interventions or use mindfulness elements in their work as a counsellor, therapist or coach this can be a perfect start.
We will be focusing on the following elements:
- Deepening your personal mindfulness practice and experientially learn an embodied understanding of mindfulness.
- Understanding the background, theory and structure of mindfulness-based approaches, including MBCT and MBSR.
- Obtaining a basic understanding of the underpinning rationales/intentions, background, theory, cognitive science, evidence base, ethical framework, structure and sequence of the curriculum.
- Practising guided meditations in controlled and supportive settings.
The following modules will be offered:
- Structure and learning curve of the eight-week mindfulness training.
- Psycho-education and brain research.
- Guiding the meditations and practices of a mindfulness course.
- Basic skills in inquiry.
- Yoga as a mindfulness practice.
- Cognitive and Buddhist psychology.
- (Self-)compassion and kindness in mindfulness.
- Overview of research on MBCT and MBSR.
- Self-care (also for yourself).
- In the first module we will also be setting up little groups for homework between the modules.
After completing this programme, you will have acquired the basic skills of a mindfulness trainer: guiding practices, a basic understanding of how inquiry works and an introduction into psycho-education. In addition, you will have developed in the embodiment of mindfulness and deepened your practice. You will understand the structure and different ingredients of the 8-week programme. You will be able to work independently with elements of training in a private practice as well begin to teach mindfulness-based courses in a supervised setting.
Connection to the Mindfulness Teacher Training - Advanced Programme (year 2)
The Foundations Programme integrates seamlessly with the Advanced Programme. While it is possible to start with the Foundations Programme and decide later if you wish to continue with the Advanced Programme, we recommend planning both modules from the start since they form a complete and integrated programme. It is only after the full completion of both years and the assessment module that you will become a certified mindfulness teacher based on the internationally recognised criteria of the MBI-TAC.
Price for level 1- Mindfulness Teacher Training - Foundations Programme
EUR 1.995, - (excluding VAT; to be paid in instalments)
The price includes the following:
- Participation in the 9-day training programme
- One day of mindfulness of your choice with Brussels Mindfulness (see brusselsmindfulness.be/agenda). The price of the day of mindfulness is included in your fee. You are however free to choose another provider at your own cost if this is more convenient for you. In this case, you will need to submit the programme and structure of this mindfulness day to your trainer for approval.
- Structured review of your progress and assignments (homework groups and reading list).
- Residential formula at the training centre Chant d’Oiseau in Brussels, including:
- Accommodation in single room with shared bathroom.
- Breakfast, vegetarian lunch and dinner, tea-breaks.
- Use of the vast and beautiful garden in your free time.
- The costs of the supervision are not comprised in this fee. After year 1 you will be choosing a supervisor amongst the team of Brussels Mindfulness or elsewhere. The choice of the supervisor will be on your own cost, at max. 80€ per session if you book supervision through Brussels Mindfulness. A minimum 2 sessions will be required.
Conditions for participation in the Mindfulness Teacher Training - Foundations Programme:
Prior to application for the Teacher Training you must have:
- Followed an 8-week mindfulness training as a participant.
- Completed some form of higher education (at least Bachelor’s level).
- At least one year of daily mindfulness meditation practice.
- Attended one silent retreat of at least 2 nights. (You can find the dates of our retreats here)
Your application for the Teacher Training should include the following:
- We recommend the participation in our information session on 22 September 2018 (click here).
- Certificates of attendance for all required courses (copies are sufficient), and details of all mindfulness training you have followed, retreats, and if applicable, teaching and supervision experience.
- Reflective writing on your experience of your development as a mindfulness practitioner (1000 words).
You might want to consider questions such as:
- What draws me to mindfulness and mindfulness practice?
- What is particularly challenging in my mindfulness practice?
- What intrigues me and keeps me motivated?
- How has my practice developed over time?
- How does practice serve me in times of difficulty?
- What is my motivation to want to teach?
Do not hesitate too long, because places are limited to 24 participants!