8-week course, Tuesday evenings from 19.30 to 21.30
- Starting on Tuesday 13 October 2020.
- Course dates: 13, 20, 27 October; 10, 17, 24 November; 1, 8 December 2020
Location: Training Centre MM81, Room Damasio
8-week Mindfulness Course: Finding peace in a frantic world
In these uncertain times it is even more important to take care of your own wellbeing. With all the negative news and the uncertainty of how things will evolve, it is easy to get caught up in a spiral of worrying and fear. At times, you might feel helpless and stressed and have difficulties to concentrate. But it does not need to be that way. You can learn tools and attitudes that can help you to stay in control of your life and emotions, independently of what life throws at you.
If we allow our mind to continuously focus on fear and worry, it will become an anxious mind. But if we cultivate peace, contentment and love, we train ourselves to be well and peaceful, even when the world is in distress.
Many of us find it difficult to create a balance between the demands present in our work and personal lives. We need tools to help us deal with the stress and uncertainty ever present in our rapid lifestyle. It is important to develop mental resources in order to cope with the challenges we face and replenish our energy levels.
Imagine you wake up in the morning feeling confident that you can handle whatever the day will throw at you. Of course, you might still experience stress, feel annoyed or be anxious at times, but these feelings don’t determine your life anymore. You feel calmer, you’re more focused, and you are able to enjoy the good things more.
Does this sound too good to be true? Practicing mindfulness can bring you such a shift towards greater mental and emotional wellbeing.
An 8-week mindfulness course is not a “quick fix”, nor is it a miracle cure for just about everything. It is a training programme, in which you will learn mental skills and develop new habits and attitudes to deal more skilfully with the challenges of life.
You will discover how you unwillingly contribute to your own stress and unhappiness. By putting in some practice, you can learn new and more helpful ways of dealing with difficult situations.
In 8 weeks you will learn how to:
- Respond more thoughtfully to stressful and challenging situations, rather than reacting automatically and getting more upset.
- Deal more skilfully with difficult thoughts and emotions that might otherwise stress you out or drag you down.
- Be more focused on what you are doing and find more calm and clarity in doing so.
- Balance your time and energy in a better way so you can appreciate and enjoy life and work again.
- Be kinder to yourself and deal skilfully with your ‘inner critic’.
The 8-week programme
The aim of the programme is to acquire new ways to handle challenging feelings, thoughts, physical sensations, moods or social interactions. You will learn to integrate mindfulness skills in your daily life. A few examples of these are the following:
- Finding peace in the midst of the turbulences of your life by learning to use your breath as an anchor.
- Increasing your body awareness: using your body as a sensitive radar instead of an amplifier of stress.
- Understanding the stress mechanisms: how automatic thoughts, body sensations and feelings reinforce each other and lead to being stressed out and overwhelmed.
- Finding new ways of dealing with difficult thoughts and feelings and learning to shift to a more relaxed mode.
- Awareness of “early warning” stress symptoms
- Learning how to manage your energy and setting up an action plan for self-care.
- Practising how to step out of vicious cycles of worrying and getting more in control of your mind and your life.
- Becoming aware of your inner critic and how to disengage from it, ultimately adding a softer and more compassionate inner voice.
- Cultivating inner qualities of compassion, gratitude and care for yourself and others.
The mind is like a garden: if you leave it untended, it will grow all kinds of strange weeds. But if you take good care of it, you can pull the weeds and plant new seeds. This is the essence of “neuroplasticity”, which means that we can rewire our brain by becoming more skilful in choosing where our attention rests upon. We can learn to change our brain for the better and activate areas linked to self-regulation, wellbeing, concentration, contentment and awareness, and lessen the impact of stress, fear and anxiety.
The majority of people completing the programme report lasting physical and psychological benefits including:
- An increased ability to relax and to find inner calm.
- Greater energy and enthusiasm for life.
- Heightened self-confidence.
- An increased ability to cope more effectively with stressful situations.
- A greater sense of overall wellbeing.
- An improved sleep quality.
- A better immune system.
- 8 weekly group sessions of 2 hours.
- Lots of practical exercises to build mindfulness into your daily schedule without needing to invest extra time.
- Programme based on the scientifically validated Oxford mindfulness programme "Finding peace in a frantic world"
- Course led by an experienced and certified mindfulness teacher.
- 2 inbetween mails per week to deepen your learning
If you cannot make it to one session you can choose to:
- Follow this session in the parallel online course on Thursday evenings.
- Follow this session in the next course.
Feel free to check out our frenquently asked questions for further information on our courses.
Check out our information on Covid 19 for our safety guidelines.
The course will take place in "MM81", a beautiful and spacious Maison de maître between metro Merode and Montgomery on Avenue de Tervueren in Brussels. It also has a lovely garden with a pond. If the weather allows it we will do some outdoor practices.
- Beautiful and convenient location, which is easy to reach with public transport (close to metro stations Merode and Montgomery).
- The course language is English.
- Small groups (maximum 15 people) to guarantee health standards and interactivity.
- No special clothes or meditation cushions needed.
- We will sit on chairs, but you are also free to use your own meditation material.
Teacher: Alena Reisinger
Alena is a certified mindfulness teacher and has completed the teacher training at Brussels Mindfulness with lead teacher Jake Dartington and other internationally recognized teachers. In her day-time job she is a talent coach and has lots of opportunities to practice mindfulness in a business setting.
For the 8-week mindfulness course, including:
- Comprehensive manual with handouts, worksheets and audio downloads to support your practice.
- The book "Finding peace in a frantic world" by Mark Williams, following the 8-week structure with lots of background information.
- Two weekly emails with insights, reminders and practical tips on how to integrate mindfulness into your life.
- Delicious and relaxing teas at every session.
- Possibility to switch to the Thursday class in case you cannot make a session.
- Life-tiime access for over 100 guided meditations
Price: € 397 (incl VAT)
Please check our terms & conditions about cancellations and refunds.
Several Belgian health insurances cover part of the mindfulness course. Please get in touch with your health insurance to find out about the procedure. Our organisation is eligible for these refunds. We will be happy to fill in your form at the end of the course.
Covid 19 precautions
To ensure your comfort during this event, we take measures following the guidelines concerning health standards:
- Small groups to allow enough space between participants during all activities.
- Amenities to wash and disinfect your hands regularly.
- The location is cleaned and ventilated several times a day.
- Possibility for outdoor meditations whenever the weather allows it.
- We encourage you to use your mask and not to participate should you have symptoms.
- Use of masks when circulating in the building
See here below a film on the beautiful garden at MM81 where we like to hold outdoor sessions if the weather is nice.
Feedback from participants of previous courses:
"This course was everything I expected and so much more! Beate was such a good teacher, so kind and gentle with us and our progress.I really recommend this institute if you want to learn mindfulness. Your life won't be the same afterwards, promised! Thank you so much, Beate, for everything you taught me!"
"I highly recommend Brussels Mindfulness. The teachers and approach were the right balance of providing a conceptual understanding, hands-on practice, personal and peer reflections and dialogue to understand and itegrate what we have learnt into what we do and who we are. The impact has been immediate and keeps on going - it is an investment that positively affects the foundation of self and holistic wellbeing."
"The 8-week programme was a real eye opener. I love the coach and the group, everything was done in an atmosphere of compassion and understanding. I feel like now I have this big toolbox that I can keep developping and digging into whenever I face difficult and stressful situations."
"High quality teaching and extraordinary communication and pedagogical tools (handbook, emails, languages, knowldege...). Extraordinary 8-week mindfulness course- a must for everyone. Impossible not to like! Mindfulness attitudes amidst hectic times...and delicous raisins (you will find out why!)."
Registration for the 8-week mindfulness course on Tuesdays
We encourage you to register as soon as possible to secure your place.
Please answer the questions below how to register for the 8-week positive neuroplasticity course on Wednesdays. This information is important for us so we can understand your motivation to participate in the course.
This information important for the teacher so we can understand your motivation to participate in the course. The information you provide will be treated confidentially and will never be shared with third parties.
Please check if your employer is willing to cover the cost before registering. In this case, please send us an email instead so we can issue an invoice. Also please send us an email if you have diplomatic statute, so we can issue an invoice without VAT.
If you have financial difficulties, but feel that participating to this course would help you, please contact us. We will find a solution together.
We will get in touch with you if we have any questions, so please provide the phone number on which we can most easily reach you.
Important information: In order to start the mindfulness course it is important that you are in good physical and mental health. Especially if you are suffering from acute depression or burn-out, we recommend you to postpone the course until you feel better. If you have professional support from a doctor or psychotherapist, you may wish to consult them first and discuss your ability to participate in the course. The trainers of Brussels Mindfulness are happy to discuss this with you on the phone; however, we cannot take any responsibility for your decision to participate in the course or not.
Do not hesitate to get in touch with us if you would have any questions. For administrative and practical questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want to discuss something directly with the trainer, you can contact Steve Savels via email@example.com.
Many thanks for your registration and we are looking forward to meeting you in the course.