Online 8-week course, Thursday evenings from 19.30 to 21.30
- Starting on Thursday 15 October 2020.
- Course dates: 15, 22, 29 October; 12, 19, 26 November; 3, 10 December 2020
Location: Training Centre MM81, Room Damasio
Mindfulness Based Compassionate Living
For people who have already done an 8-week mindfulness course or who have some experience with meditation and would like to deepen or reboost their practice.
Many of us experience increasing pressure in all aspects of our lives - pressure to be the perfect parent, balancing professional ambitions with personal time, being the perfect spouse, eating healthily, remaining physically fit. The list of 'musts' and 'shoulds' can be endless.
What if you would give yourself a break? What if could learn to be a bit kinder to yourself?
It’s not often easy to achieve, even after having done an 8-week mindfulness course. In this follow-up course, you will take a deeper dive into mindfulness and compassion and how they can help you find more happiness, connection and enjoyment.
Research by Tania Singer from the Max Planck Institute has found that compassion is the most transformative element in a mindfulness course. And yet it is also the most difficult one. We often tend to think that there is something wrong with ourselves, that we should be better and even more efficient. This self-criticsm increases the feeling of being stressed and makes us feel exhausted and overwhelmed.
The Mindfulness Based Compassionate Living (MBCL) programme presents a new way of facing the pressures of modern living by providing an antidote which teaches us how to cultivate kindness and compassion – starting with being kind to yourself.
In 8 weeks you will learn:
- How to deepen mindfulness with “heartfulness”: kindness and compassion towards others and towards yourself.
- How your brain and organism have evolved to help you survive and how this affects your happiness.
- How your emotion regulation systems work and how you can deal with them to find more safety, contentment and social connection.
- How to deal with difficult and persistent emotions such as shame or guilt, and with your “inner bully”.
- How to become your best friend and take better care of yourself
This course is perfect for you if you have experienced benefit from mindfulness practice, but you find it difficult to develop a kind and friendly attitude in it or integrate it into your daily life.
Benefits of (self-)compassion
- Reduced feelings of anxiety, stress and rumination.
- Increased sense of self-worth and confidence.
- Greater sense of wellbeing and calm.
- Increased happiness.
- Increased feeling of social connection.
- Improved emotional resilience and decreased risk of burnout.
- An improved ability for positive aging.
Features of the 8-week programme
- 8 weekly group sessions of 2 hours.
- Comprehensive manual with handouts and worksheets, and audio downloads to support your practice.
- Lots of practical exercises to build mindfulness and heartfulness into your daily schedule.
- Programme based on the scientifically validated Mindfulness Based Compassionate Living (MBCL) programme.
- Course led by an experienced and certified mindfulness and compassion teacher.
- If you cannot make it a session, you can follow it in the next course.
- Beautiful and convenient location, which is easy to reach with public transport (close to metro stations Merode and Montgomery).
- The course is given in English.
- Small groups (minimum 8 to maximum 15 people).
With Mindfulness and Compassion teacher Steve Savels.
A participant writes...
After a previous course, a participant wrote this email:
- I've discovered a form of joy and peace of mind which was simply unkown to me.
- I take the time to notice, appreciate and savour the small moments instead of letting them fly by me as nothing more than another form of background noise.
- I take notice of people around me, their moods and their feelings with an interest and attentiveness which was completely alien to my highly introverted nature.
- I notice my switches in moods and my moments of frustration much faster and am able to push back and calm down faster.
- I notice when my mind slips in meetings and can bring myself back to the present.
- I'm generally calmer, less frustrated and better intentionned to those around me than I ever was before.
- I find myself being uncharacteristically charitable.
- I smile in the still and personal moments and I know I'm smiling because my muscles which were so used to frowning ache from the effort.
For the 8-week compassion & heartfulness course, including:
- Comprehensive syllabus.
- Audio downloads for specific heartfulness and kindness meditations.
- Delicious and relaxing teas at every session.
- Possibility to catch up in case you missed a session.
Price: € 397 (incl VAT)
We encourage you to register as soon as possible to secure your place.
Please check our terms & conditions about cancellations and refunds.
Several Belgian health insurances cover part of the mindfulness course. Please get in touch with your health insurance to find out about the procedure. Our organisation is eligible for these refunds. We will be happy to fill in your form at the end of the course.
To ensure your comfort during this event, we take measures following the guidelines concerning health standards:
- Small groups to allow enough space between participants during all activities.
- Amenities to wash and disinfect your hands regularly.
- The location is cleaned and ventilated several times a day.
- Possibility for outdoor meditations whenever the weather allows it.
- We encourage you to use your mask and not to participate should you have symptoms.
Registration for the 8-week follow-up compassion & heartfulness course
Please fill out the form below in order to register for the 8-week mindfulness & heartfulness course on Thursday evenings.
Your answers to these questions are important for the teacher to be able to admit you to the course. The information you provide will be treated confidentially and will never be shared with third parties.
Please check if your employer is willing to cover the cost before registering. In this case, please send us an email instead so we can issue an invoice. Also please send us an email if you have diplomatic statute, so we can issue an invoice without VAT.
We believe that money should not be an obstacle for your health and wellbeing. If you are experiencing financial difficulties please get in touch with us before the registration so that we can find an appropriate solution together.
We will get in touch with you if we have any questions, so please provide the phone number on which we can most easily reach you.
Do not hesitate to get in touch with us if you would have any questions. For administrative and practical questions, please contact email@example.com.
If you want to discuss something directly with the teacher, you can contact Steve Savels via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many thanks for your registration and we are looking forward to meeting you in the course.